Starting off with my initial story, I was heading in a sci-fi direction in a fairly 3rd world country building into a culture different from my own. This was perhaps a little ambitious if I'd like to get the details correct.
Nonetheless I went with the idea to see where it would take me. The general concept here is that the main character is a young Muslim girl in a rundown town with a father that used to run a robotics store. Tragedy ensues and the father goes missing / dies leaving the daughter and her love for robots lost in a town where robots are condemned because of what happened. Leading the girl to go into scrapyards to find parts to fuel her obsession with robots & engineering.
Due to analysing these early progression images at a later date I am seeing new ways I could add depth to the stories. Such I can see that the mysterious disappearance of her father relating potentially to the robot that the girl finds. The robot explaining what happened, why her father is missing and giving reason as to why it is not the robots fault. Leading to further conflict as the townsfolk refuse to listen, leading to an adventure and bonding between the robot and the girl on the search for her father.
Twist, maybe the robot is her father?
Through my learning process I found myself scrapping and re-thinking my story ideas each week, reviewing my story based upon the feedback that other students have received.
Though making many mistakes and disliking my stories feels as though I am not very good, I can definitely see how each mistake has lead me to better judgement. Sometimes establishing a mental list of what doesn't work is much shorter than that of what does.
To help with the story boarding process I initially started by writing up a shots list that I would use as a reference for creating the scenes.
Though this works in theory and helps with my organisation with shots, making sure there is little overlap, contradiction and allows me to keep track of continuity. I found this method very difficult, likely due to my little experience with creating scenes and continuity, this lead me to think of another method.